What happens to the bells of demolished churches?. Sometimes they are tucked away in the nooks and crannies of other churches in the area. Like the bells of St Michaels , Pitsea which were taken to St Clements, Grays for storage. ( Are they still there.?) Some bells come out of retirement and are used in new churches. Basildon’s St Martin’s Bell tower has eight bells. All were made at Whitechapel Foundry and date from 1440- 1997.
Unusually the biggest bell was cast by a woman , Joanna Hille in 1441
Two of the bells came from the redundant church of St Nicholas, Colchester and the bell housed in the foyer of St Martin’s came from St Mary’s, Dunton.
Does anyone know where the other bells spent their former lives?